Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jump Creek Falls, Near Marsing, ID

I recently read about Jump Creek Falls in a local newspaper and had to see it for myself. It's about an hours drive from my home and as you wend your way through the flat fields of farmland, you don't expect to then enter into a canyon with a waterfall.
Getting to the falls and the pool were half the fun. The easy 0.2 mile canyon trail leads you through a lush riparian area filled with waterbirch, dogwood and chokecherry trees. I took my time viewing the odd shapes and landscape of the black lava, rock-rimmed walls, which resemble huge hunks of Swiss cheese.
At the bottom of the canyon trail, I crossed over Jump Creek; a quiet, soothing stream flowing only 6-8 inches deep and about 12 feet in width.
Jack and I took one of the two hiking trails in the area -- we only had time to go to the Falls Creek Overlook as daylight was rapidly disappearng.
I hope to go again this summer and take some friends and swim in the pool when the water isn't so cold.
Enjoy the photos!

The Canyon Leading Into Jump Creek Falls

The path into the falls

Jump Creek Falls

The falls from the overlook


A view from the overlook looking back into the canyon leading up to the falls

No comments:

Post a Comment